Health Benefits of Massages
It’s now estimated that in the U.S. alone the massage therapy industry generates over $12 billion annually! Roughly 39.1 million adult Americans (18 percent of the total population) had a massage at least once in the previous year, according to the American Massage Therapy College.
There are many benefits of regularly scheduled massages.
It Is Relaxing – When you are tense and under stress, your body produces unhealthy levels of stress hormones which can contribute to weight gain, digestive issues, losing sleep and headaches.
Help Lower Your Blood Pressure – Getting a massage regularly can reduce blood pressure levels. Some studies show consistent massage programs can reduce both systolic (upper number) and diastolic (lower number) blood pressure.
Assist with poor posture – If you have poor posture, frequent massages might help you correct it. Massages can reinforce healthy and natural movements, which have been proven to help improve poor posture.
Some studies have found massage may also be helpful for:
- Insomnia related to stress
- Myofascial pain syndrome
- Soft tissue strains or injuries
- Digestive disorders
- Athletic injuries
- Temporomandibular joint pain
Simply put, a massage is the practice of rubbing and pressing of your skin and muscles. There are many different types of massage, including these common types:
- Swedish massage is a gentle form of massage that uses long rubbing motions, kneading, circular motions and even vibration and tapping.
- Deep massage techniques use slower, harder strokes that focus on the deep layers of muscle and tissue to help with muscle damage from injuries or stress.
- Sports massage is similar to Swedish massage, however they are designed for athletes to help prevent or treat injuries.
- Trigger point massages focus on your tight and sore parts of your body that can form after injuries or overuse.
- Hot stone massage. Eases muscle stiffness, improves circulation and might even help your metabolism. Hot stone massages can enhance muscle relaxation by placing smooth, water-heated stones at key points on your body.
To see if you can benefit from regular massages call Christy Adam Spa today to schedule your appointment. (703) 430-4800